Sunday, January 01, 2006

FutureShocks hits shelves!

Just spotted FutureShocks on the shelf at Books & Co., the high-end store from Books-A-Million. I don't have my own copies yet from Roc, so this is the first time I've seen it. As they no longer send out cover flats, this was also my first glimpse at the spine and back cover. I'm well pleased.

Books & Co. stickers their books (ack!), which, while annoying to the collector in me, is a handy way to keep track of their sales at an individual store. (For instance, Mike Resnick's Starship: Mutiny was stickered as "1 of 4" and they only had three copies left, so I know one sold.) In this case, FutureShocks was labeled "1 of 1". Which meant that I resisted the almost-overpowering urge to buy it myself, lest I take that opportunity away from some other Alabamian, and I'll have to wait on Roc and the U.S. post to get me my (and my contributors') copies. Despite my impatience, it's a nice way to kick off the new year.

Update: I've just noticed that Rick Kleffel over at the Agony Column has posted a long piece on the relationship between Alvin Toffler's famous work and this anthology. Since the anthology's title is a deliberate allusion, I'm psyched to see someone calling it out. Thanks, Rick.

No comments: