Thursday, June 23, 2016

Thurber House: Day Four

I survived.

The storm was heavy rain and lightning, but the power stayed on, the winds weren't as hard as predicted, and I did not have to take shelter in the basement of a supposed-haunted house in the dark of night and that's a good thing.

However, I don't sleep during any storm, not after having had a tornado drop an enormous white oak on my rooftop some years back before touching down in the ravine next to my house and felling another twenty or so trees. Therefore, it was a late, slow, and slightly dim start this morning.

Breakfast, a pot of coffee, and Game of Thrones made it quite enjoyable (I'm still on season five). Then some real progress on the rewrite of the manuscript I finished last week. Lunch was a leftover boxed dinner from the previous night's literary picnic and then more revision.

Around 3:30 I decided I really should get out of the house once, so I took an hour and twenty minute walk. I headed East then South, and found myself in Corner Stone Craft Beer & Wine in Old Towne East. I took a walk through the historical district, passed many beautiful old homes, and then came upon The Topiary Park, which is beautiful.

I came back up through downtown, decided to head deeper into downtown, and then take 4th Street North until I hit Gay Street. There is a beautiful building on the corner of Young and Gay. I got back to Thurber House seconds after everyone there had locked up and were headed to their cars.

Before going inside, I took a moment to sit in the little garden area between Thurber House and Thurber Center, where I shot a photo of some of the statues of Muggs the dog.

Then it was more work, more Game of Thrones, more food, and now more writing. Later tonight, it will also be more Dragon's Milk.

As to the legends associated with this old house, the mirror did jump in its mounting on the wall twice while I was shaving, but I've chosen to view that as a quirk of the air conditioning cooling the glass on a hot day and not, say, a supernatural comment on my rendition of "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)."

Sing it with me...

See these eyes so green
I can stare for a thousand years
Colder than the moon
Well it's been so long

And I've been putting out the fire with gasoline

No comments: